Witness - Backup Server¶
To stay a reliable block producer it is recommend you have a hot swappable backup server with same specs as the live server running an instance of
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT THIS BACKUP SHOULD NOT HAVE THE SAME SIGNING KEY PAIR in the
config.ini as your main node!
How it works:
- Your live witness node is signing blocks with the private key which is stated in the
- Your backup witness node is running a copy of the software with another private key in the
- generate a new public/private keypair with cli_wallet command: suggest_brain_key
- On a third server you monitor your live node on regular intervals with an automated script (e.g.: https://github.com/roelandp/Bitshares-Witness-Monitor).
- As soon as your live node is starting to fail producing blocks the missing blocks parameter increases and you can issue a command to update_witness to your backup’s Public Key.
- Investigate the issue with your live node and stay happy.